BAAL Applying Linguistics Fund: Call for Applications 2017/18
Engaging users in the research process is an important part of the research agenda. The BAAL Applying Linguistics Fund supports members by offering up to £10,000 to carry out innovative activities which link research and application/public engagement. Applications are invited from any members of BAAL. Funded activities can take place in the UK or overseas. The fund will be available for a single activity or a series of connected activities that bring BAAL members (including students) together with research users (e.g. policy makers, teachers, companies, lawyers, police, community groups, health workers, charities).
Examples of successful applications in previous rounds:
- Improving communication between police and public (Frances Rock, 2011/12)
- A workshop and an investigation into researcher/practitioner engagement in collaboration with the Association for Language Learning (Emma Marsden, 2012/13)
- Implementing a research-based intervention programme on global linguistic issues in a year 9 secondary school (Ursula Lanvers and Kristina Hultgren, 2013/14)
- Applying linguistics to the development of training resources for adults working with young transgender people (Lucy Jones, 2013/14)
- Applicant (or lead applicant if more than one) must be a member of BAAL
- Student members of BAAL are also eligible to apply. Please note that while the fund cannot cover costs relating to core dissertation or thesis work, we welcome applications from student members who might use this fund to augment or enhance connections with research end-users. Student applicants should include a statement from their supervisor in support of the application.
Criteria for selecting proposals
- Relevance and significance of the activity to the user group
- Capacity to strengthen and extend knowledge within the applied linguistics community
- Evidence of enthusiasm for and intention to participate in activity from the user group, e.g., letter of support
- Quality of the activity proposed: achievable goals; realistic costing; nature of the activity (e.g., innovation, scope)
- Clear and realistic expectations of the nature of the link between research and application through detailed outputs and outcomes.
You may apply for the full amount of £10,000 or for smaller amounts depending on the scale of your activity. However, in the past BAAL has typically divided the monies available between two or three different projects. As BAAL is a charity, we do not fund salaries of academics engaged in research activity at full economic costing (FEC) using the Fund. All funds must be processed through institutions, preferably by cheque, and not through individuals.*
* 25% of the approved budget will be paid at the beginning of the project with the remainder on satisfactory completion of a project. An invoice for the remainder should be sent within 6 months of receiving the BAAL EC’s approval of the final 1000 word project report.
How to apply
Applications should be made on the Applying Linguistics Fund Application Form and should clearly show how the proposed project meets the criteria. The lead applicant, who must be a current member of BAAL, should include a summary CV of no more than one page as an appendix. Letters of support from potential user groups can also be included as appendices. A detailed budget should also be attached. The application should be no more than 2,000 words, excluding CV, budget and any other supporting documentation. The application should comprise a single PDF document and be sent to Kristina Hultgren: email@example.com by 3rd April 2018. Please mark it ‘Applying Linguistics Fund’ in the subject line.
Please note, applicants must specify any existing funds already received or applied for which relate to their application.
Successful applicants will be required to produce a short report of 1000 words on completion of the project. This will be posted on the BAAL website and published in the BAAL newsletter. Applicants are also encouraged to produce a poster to be displayed at the BAAL conference, on completion of the activities. The poster will not be subject to the usual peer review process.
Contact for queries
If you have any queries about the call, please contact Zhu Hua (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Kristina Hultgren (email@example.com)
Timeline for applications and Applying Linguistics Fund activities:
November 2017: call for applications sent out on BAAL mail
3 April 2018: deadline for applications
Mid-June 2018: all applicants are notified
1 August 2018 to 31 July 2019: all research activities to be carried out
Early January 2019: 1000-word report to be provided for the BAAL newsletter
September 2019: poster contribution (if applicant wishes) at BAAL conference